Date: 03 - 04 December 2012
Venue: University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
The ERS Conference Programme has been published.
The GLODERS project ("Global Dynamics of Extortion Racket Systems) will be hosting an academic conference to review and advance current understandings of the spread of extortion racket systems (such as the varieties of "Mafia" and similar organisations).
Presentation topics include:
- Reviews of the current distribution of Extortion Racket Systems (ERS) globally and in specific countries
- Descriptions of the structure and organisation of ERS
- Analyses of the social, economic and cultural conditions under which ERS prosper
- Explanatory accounts of the reasons for the success or failure of specific ERS
- Commentary of the migration of ERS from one country or sector to another
- Reviews of counter-ERS policies and their effectiveness
- Assessments of the expected future for ERS world-wide
The conference will also include round table, panel discussions and posters (TBC).
Participants from academia, policy and operational organisations are all very welcome.
The GLODERS project is partially funded by the European Commission's Framework 7 programme. It aims to study and analyse Extortion Racket Systems, with a focus on the social, economic, cultural and institutional conditions in which they thrive and the dynamics of their migration from one society to another across the globe; and develop and demonstrate information technology tools for the construction of policy-relevant cognitive and normative multi-level agent-based models from large volumes of qualitative, textual data and to use these models to identify system patterns of interest to local, regional and multi-national law enforcement decision-makers.
The conference will be held in the University of Vienna. The campus is near the historic heart of Vienna, a city with many attractions and good air links from Europe and beyond. Vienna hosts a Christmas Market in December.
Registration fee is £80 to cover the catering and administrative cost. To register, please visit here.